All Collections
Help Guides
How to Write Great Text-to-Image Prompts
How to Write Great Text-to-Image Prompts

Get the best results from your AI image prompts with these handy tips and tricks

Written by Marc Santos
Updated over a week ago

When you generated your first images in Generate Images with Text Prompts, you probably started with a simple prompt like "an orange cat by the a window sill". This guide will help you improve your prompts through insights from Leonardo.Ai's community, our prompt generation features, and some best practices for structuring your prompts.

1. Learn from the Community Feed

One of Leonardo.Ai's biggest strengths is it's thriving community of users. You can leverage the Community Feed to learn how other users are generating excellent images.

Simply navigate to the Community Feed page by clicking on Community Feed on the left side bar, then browse through the images to find ones that you like.

To check the prompt used for a particular image, just click on the image and check the prompt details.

Consider joining Leonardo.Ai's official Discord and Facebook communities to learn from our power users.

2. Use Prompt Generation

If you are looking for inspiration or would like to leverage automated help, Leonardo.Ai provides you AI tools within the platform.

In the AI Image Generation page, to the left of the prompt bar is a pair of dice which can either help you create a random prompt or improve a short prompt.

Create a New Random Prompt

With an empty prompt bar, click on the pair of dice. Then click on New Random Prompt to generate a random prompt. Be sure to study the rich descriptions generated within the prompt.

Use Improve Prompt

Start with a short prompt like "an orange cat". Then click on Improve Prompt to generate a prompt from your initial prompt. Take note of the added details generated within the prompt.

From your random prompt or improved prompt, you can go ahead and click generate, or tweak the prompt a bit to your liking.

3. Apply Good Prompt Structure

Good prompts will contain most of the following five elements:

  • Subject - E.g. Grumpy old man

  • Medium - E.g. Oil painting

  • Style - E.g. Realism

  • Composition - E.g. Seated pose, slightly off-center, with a focus on facial expression

  • Color and lighting - E.g. Natural, muted colors with soft, ambient lighting

Putting them together, you'll get something like:

Realistic oil painting of a grumpy man in a seated pose, slightly off-center, focusing on facial expressions, with natural, muted colors and soft ambient lighting

For more details, check out the 6-minute tutorial video below.

For more tips, check out Prompting Tips & Tricks.

By following the suggestions above, you are on your way to writing the best prompts for generating images for your project. One final tip: great prompts is a product of iteration so we hope you enjoy the process. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Even with great prompts, it's possible to get the image only 95% right. To get the remaining 5%, you will need to make minor edits on specific parts of an image. In the next guide, you will learn how to Edit Images with AI Canvas.

Did this answer your question?