How long does it take?
Topping up your NZD Wallet with a bank deposit normally takes as long as a bank transfer between banks. This means during business hours, it can be a few hours, and over the weekend and public holidays it can take a few days—it all depends on your bank!
Topping up your NZD Wallet by credit/debit card is often almost instant.
Setting up an automatic payment
We recommend setting up an automatic payment into your Wallet. This way you’ll always have money to make the most of investment opportunities, and can use auto-invest as needed. 😊
- Log in at https://app.sharesies.nz
- Select Wallet > Top up with bank deposit
- You'll see the details you need for your bank transfer or to set up an automatic payment. This includes your unique customer reference, which you'll need to include as a reference in your bank transfer to Sharesies. This reference will need to show on our end of the payment for it to be automatically assigned to your NZD Wallet.
- Log in to your internet banking. Set up an automatic payment.
You're paying: Sharesies NZ (or Sharesies Nominee Ltd, if you're choosing a Saved Company).
Once your bank has made the transfer, it’ll be put into your NZD Sharesies Wallet. This normally takes about as long as a bank transfer between banks. This can be the same day on weekdays, and a few days over the weekends—but it really depends on your bank.
We'll email you when the money is in your Wallet. You can then log in and choose where to invest your money, and if you want to exchange to USD!
Making a one-off payment
The process is the same as setting up an automatic payment, except you have to do this manually each time. Don’t forget your unique customer reference number! You can find this in Wallet > Top up with bank deposit.
Topping up with a card
You can also top up your NZD Wallet with a card. But be aware, there’s a fee to do this. To do this in Sharesies:
- Select Wallet > Top up with a card
- Enter the amount you’d like to top up
- Select Next. You can either choose to pay with an existing saved card, or enter the details of a new card.
Topping up with a card has a card processing fee of 2.65% + $0.18. We’ll let you know the amount of the fee when you choose your top up amount, so there are no surprises at checkout! For your first ever Wallet top up (for amounts up to $100), we’ll cover the card processing fee for you!
Topping up with a credit/debit card should appear in your Wallet almost immediately.