About Batch Invoicing
You can generate invoices for clients and funders from a few different locations in Penelope depending on your goals:
• From the Generate Invoices in Batch mode page allowing you to generate multiple invoices at one time for all outstanding Service Units (for both Individuals and Funders). This tutorial will focus on this process.
• From the Account Balance page for both Individuals and Funders allowing you to create multiple invoices pre-filtered for that individual or funder specifically. The Generate Invoices in Batch mode page is used in this scenario as well though it is pre-filtered for the applicable Individual or Funder.
• From a single Service Event page for fee for-service (FFS) clients. For more details see the following help topic: https://intercom.help/ssgpenelope/en/articles/5183664-invoice-and-record-payment-using-quick-pay
Generate an Invoice in Batch Mode
On the homepage, in the Links sidebar, click Generate Invoices in Batch mode.
In the Batch Information section, complete the following fields:
• In the Batch Name field, provide a name for the batch. This name can be used to search for the Batch later.
• In the Batch/Invoice Date field, confirm and/or adjust the date for the batch. This field defaults to today’s date.
• From the Batch Site drop-down, select which Site you want the Batch associated with. This field defaults to the Site your account is assigned to.
Choose an Invoice Grouping. The Invoice Grouping determines how you want Service Units grouped in the invoice(s). You can optionally choose to group invoices:
By Policy Contact: Creates one invoice per Funder Collateral Contact (set at the Policy level). For example, if one Funder has two Collateral Contacts in use on Policies with Service Units in the batch, two invoices will be created instead of one. Note that this option is applicable to Funder-based billing only; you cannot include FFS/Individuals in the Batch.
None: This default option creates one invoice per payor (applicable to both FFS and Funder invoices) including all chosen Service Units.
By Service Event: Creates one invoice per Service Event. All Service Units for the Service Event are grouped in the same invoice. If you choose this option, you can optionally set the Event Date as Invoice Date.
By Primary Worker – Creates one invoice per Primary Worker (i.e. multiple events with the same Primary Worker will be grouped together into a single invoice. If a client has events with multiple Primary Workers, one invoice will be created for each Primary Worker).
In the Batch Selection Criteria section, select any combination of criteria to help narrow down the list of Service Units you want to select for the Batch.
Click View Units.
Select the Service Units you want to include in the Batch. Optionally, to include all Service Units, click Select All.
To confirm that you want to create the Batch, click Okay.
From the Batch page, you can review the list of Invoices that will be generated as part of the Batch. Optionally, you can choose to remove any invoices at this stage by clicking the adjacent (-) icon. You can also reassign invoices to other Batches by clicking the adjacent Reassign option.
To proceed with the current list of invoices in the Batch, click Post Batch.
At this stage, you can choose how you want to prepare the invoice(s). Depending on your configuration, you will have a variety of options available to create and/or print the invoice:
The EDIs section allows you to create an EDI 837 for the batch by clicking Create EDI 837. For more information about EDI, see the following guide: https://intercom.help/ssgpenelope/en/articles/5183657-edi-837p-configuration-guide
The Print Documents sidebar allows you to print an Invoice, Claim, or CMS 1500 form.
Depending on your configuration, you can customize the Invoice using a variety of options. For more details, see the next page of the tutorial.
Print Documents options
Print Zero $ Doc
For Claims only, includes $0 claims in the printed batch.
Display increases or decreases made to cart item fees in the invoice.
Display Unit of Measure
Display a column in the invoice that shows the Unit of Measure (for example, 15m, 1h, etc.) for the billable line items.
Sort by Client
When generating a Batch that includes invoicing billing to both Individuals and Funders, all invoices that are billed to Individuals are placed at the top of the window and all Funder Invoices are placed at the bottom of the window.
Use Australian Medicare Template
For details about using the Australian Medicare Template, see the following guide: https://intercom.help/ssgpenelope/en/articles/5183738-australian-medicare-invoice-guide