Follow this guide to set up a Writable class and demonstrate how to use Writable, while helping your colleagues explore Writable from the student perspective.
On this page
Creating your own training presentation? Click here to copy "Create a PD assignment in Writable" Google Slides.
❗ NOTE: Do not have teachers create student accounts. Teachers should always create a Teacher account in Writable and use the 'Act as Student' feature to explore and model assignments or use a shared Join Link after creating their Teacher account.
Step 1: Set up your training class
1. Log into your Writable teacher account.
2. Click 'Classes' at the top of your dashboard and click 'Create Class'.
3. Enter a name for your sample class and select a grade level. Then, click 'Create'.
4. Copy the Join Link or Code provided. You'll share this with your colleagues to have them join your class.
Note: You can find your Join Code and link anytime using these directions.
Step 2: Assign to your training class
1. If you don't have an assignment you'd like to use with your training class, follow these steps to copy an assignment from our Explore library.
2. Click 'My Assignments' at the top of your dashboard.
3. Click the assignment tile.
4. Click 'Assign'.
5. Check the box next to the class you created in Step 1 for your colleagues or trainees, and click 'Next'.
6. Choose your assignment options and click 'Assign'. You can read more about each option in this article.
Step 3: Have trainees create teacher accounts and join your class
❗ Note: It is important for educators to create teacher accounts when accessing Writable, not student accounts. If using Google Classroom, have trainees create a teacher account before accessing the Google Classroom assignment.
There are 2 options to invite teacher-learners into your class to view an assignment as a student.
Share the Join Link: They'll log in as a teacher, then visit the shared Join Link to go straight to the assignment as a student.
Share the Join Code: They'll use the 'Act as student' feature to join your class, access the assignment, and explore Writable from a student's perspective.
As the teacher for the class, you can also model providing feedback and grading.
1. Visit app.writable.com and click 'I'm a teacher'.
2. Choose your preferred sign-in option.
3. If using a Join Link, paste the URL in your browser. This will take you directly to the assignment.
If using a Join Code, click the profile icon in the top right corner.
4. Click 'Act as Student' to enter the student experience.
5. Click 'Join a class' and enter the Join Code shared by your trainer or colleague.
6. When you are finished exploring as a student, click the 'Act as Teacher' link in the top right corner to return to your teacher account.