In this article, you'll learn more about tracking student growth over time using the Writable growth dashboard on the 'Report' page.
'Report' can be used by teachers for their own students, or it can be used by administrators, such as Coaches or School Leaders, to monitor writing growth across a larger population of students. You will choose two assignments that have been completed and graded, then compare growth over time by Category, Skill, or Standard.
1. Click 'Report' at the top of your Writable page.
2. Use the filters to choose a writing Genre, Grade Level, Teacher(s), and Assignment Names. You can view summary data for one assignment at a time, or choose a set of two assignments to compare changes over time.
Note: By default, 'Report' includes scores received from peer reviewers as well as teacher grading. However, if you're looking at more formal assessment data, you can exclude peer review scores by unchecking the "Students Reviews" box.
3. Click 'Category', 'Skill', or 'Standard' to view growth in the way that suits your teaching or coaching needs. You may also see 'RevisionAid' if it is enabled for the assignment(s).
4. Below the report, click 'Students' to see students' scores for each assignment, one on top of the other, as well as the average growth for the entire class.
For example, the class above has an Average Growth of 12%. One student's scores improved 35% over the two assignments, while another student's scores decreased by 12%.
5. Click 'Rubrics' to see the compare average rubric item scores – and growth – for the class across both assignments.
6. Finally, scores and student writing can be exported from 'Report'.
Compare two assignments from the same genre (for example, Narrative writing): Even if you used different checklists from that genre, it's likely that some skills and standards used in the two assignments are common, and will help you see changes in student proficiency.
Use a common writing benchmark rubric several times over the course of the year – either from a customized school/district rubric or from a set of state rubrics. View Writable's state summative practice or learn how to customize a rubric and share it with your district.
The Writable Customer Success and Curriculum teams are seasoned at working with you to create the right rubric for your learning goals. Send us a note to set up a time to collaborate on a customized rubric.