The best way to track student growth over time is to use the Writable growth dashboard, found in 'Report'. The growth dashboard helps you choose two assignments that have been completed and graded, then monitor growth over time by Category, Skill, or Standard. 'Report' can be used by teachers for their own students, or it can be used by Coaches or School Leaders to monitor writing growth across a larger set of teachers or buildings.
1. Click 'Report' in the navigation bar at the top.
2. Use the filters to choose a writing Genre, Grade Level, Teacher(s), and Assignment Names. You can view summary data for one assignment at a time, or choose a set of two assignments to compare changes over time.
3. Click 'Category', 'Skill', or 'Standard' to view growth in the way that suits your teaching or coaching needs.
4. Click 'Checklists' to see the compare average checklist scores – and growth – for the class across both assignments.
5. Click 'Students' to see students' scores for each assignment side by side, as well as average growth for the entire class (here, we see 14% growth across 43 students).
6. By default, 'Report' includes scores received from peer reviewers as well as teacher grading. However, if you're looking at more formal assessment data, you can exclude peer review scores by un-checking this box in the top right corner of 'Report'.
7. Finally, scores and student writing can be exported from 'Report'. Read how to export scores or print student writing.
- It is ideal that you compare two assignments from the same genre (for example, Argument writing). Even if you used different checklists from that genre, it's likely that some skills and standards used in the two assignments are common, and will help you see changes in student proficiency.
- It's especially helpful when you can use a common writing benchmark rubric several times over the course of the year – either from a customized school/district rubric or from a set of state rubrics. View Writable's state summative practice or learn how to customize a rubric and share it with your district.
- The Writable customer success and curriculum teams are seasoned at working with you to create the right rubric for your learning goals. Send us a note to set up a time to collaborate on your customized rubrics.