Before configuring PayPal as a credit card gateway it is essential that you create a Payflow Payment Gateway account. This can be done by clicking here.
The Payflow version compatible with Penelope is Payflow Pro.
1. Do not click Activate when you first log in. Wait until step 35 to do this.
2. Create a Payflow account for use with Penelope and a separate one to be used with ClientConnect. This will help determine where your transactions are coming from.
3. Do not use the user you are currently logged in with to process payments. Use the newly created users.
How to Link and Configure Payflow with Penelope
Once you have created your Payflow Payment Gateway account follow the steps below:
1. Go to the PayPal Manager home screen.
2. If you have not linked your Paypal Account to your Payflow Payment Gateway account, log in to PayPal and follow the on-screen instructions to link the two accounts. If you have already completed this step continue to step 3.
3. Log into PayPal Manager with your Payflow credentials.
4. Add a new user for Penelope transactions (Account Administration > Manage Users > Add User).
When adding a new user ensure that:
All required fields are completed.
The User Login Name contains only letters and is between 8 to 16 characters long.
The password cannot contain special characters and must be at least 10 (ten) characters long, contain at least one upper case letter, contain at least one lower case letter and contain at one number.
The Preferred Role is set to ADMIN.
Status is set to Active.
The first time you log in with the new user account you will be asked to change your password. The new password cannot contain special characters and must be at least 10 (ten) characters long, contain at least one upper case letter, contain at least one lower case letter and contain at one number.
5. If applicable, add a new user account for ClientConnect transactions (Account Administration > Manage Users > Add User). As per step 4.
6. After adding a user for Penelope and one for ClientConnect (if applicable) navigate to Manage Users to verify they are appearing as active and with the appropriate permission level (Account Administration > Manage Users).
7. Log out of PayPal Manager and log back in again with your new user account.
8. Change user/s password in PayPal Manager.
9. Confirm your Processor Information has been added (Account Administration > Processor & Merchant Bank Information > Process Information). If this has not been set up or is different from what you expect, please contact Payflow Support for assistance (contact details are on the page).
10. Verify a Merchant has been set up (Account Administration> Processor & Merchant Bank Information> Merchant Bank Information). If this has not set up or is different from what you expect, please contact Payflow Support for assistance (contact details are on the page).
11. Make sure you do not have any IP address restrictions in place for Payflow Manager (Account Administration > Manage Security> Allowed IP Address for Manager). If you require an IP address restriction you will need to ensure that Athena’s servers are added to this list of IP addresses. Please contact the Penelope Support Team to obtain this information for your Penelope or ClientConnect databases.
12. Make sure you do not have any IP restrictions in place for the Payflow API (Account Administration> Manage Security> Allowed IP Address for API). If you require an IP address restriction you will need to ensure that Athena’s servers are added to this list of IP addresses. Please contact the Penelope Support Team to obtain this information for your Penelope or ClientConnect databases.
13. Log in to Penelope with a System Administrator account and navigate to the Credit Card Setup page. Further information can be found by clicking here (steps 3 and 3a).
14. Click Edit and ensure the Use Credit Card Interface box is checked or appears as Yes.
15. Click Add Gateway Account.
16. Select Payflow for the gateway.
17. Select the Product you will be using this gateway with (e.g. Penelope of ClientConnect).
18. Choose Pre-Production for the Usage Mode. Once you have confirmed that the PayPal gateway is working with Penelope you can add the gateway again in Production by following steps 13-17 above).
19. Enter your Payflow Settings:
Partner = PayPal
Vendor = The username for your main admin Payflow account.
User = The username for the Payflow account you set up to use with Penelope.
Password = The password for the Payflow account you set up to use with Penelope.
20. Repeat steps 13-17 for ClientConnect with the ClientConnect Payflow account you set up.
21. Make note of the Payflow URL displayed in Penelope for the Gateway Account Information. You will need to enter this in PayPal Manager (the URL will look something like this https://yourpenelopeURL/payflow).
22. Login to PayPal Manager.
23. Navigate to the Hosted Checkout Pages section (ServiceSettings> Hosted Checkout Pages) and click Set Up to configure the Hosted Checkout Page.
Here are the required fields for the integration with Penelope to work:
Transaction Process Mode: Test
Enter Cancel URL: URL from step 21.
Enter Error URL: URL from step 21.
Cancel URL Method: GET
Enter Button Text: whatever you prefer e.g. Pay Now.
Show Confirmation page: On my website
Enter Return URL: URL from step 21 above.
Return URL Method: POST
Enable Secure Token: Yes
All other fields are optional and are not required for enabling the integration with Penelope or ClientConnect.
24. Log into Penelope (not as a System Administrator) and navigate to the Individual Profile page.
25. To test the PayPal gateway click on the account balance in the Account Information section.
26. Click Add Payment.
27. Select Process Payment by Credit Card.
28. Enter a dollar amount to test this with (e.g. $1.00).
29. Click Save.
30. PayPal’s payment page should open in a new window, if it doesn’t there is a problem with your configuration settings.
31. Enter a test credit card number. You can find test cards and information here
32. Click on the Payment button.
33. Verify that the message returned is either a successful payment or a declined payment. Both messages indicate that PayPal integration is working.
34. Once you have successfully configured PayPal you can change your PayPal integration over to Production mode.
35. Log in to PayPal Manager and click Activate Your Account (follow the steps provided).
36. Repeat steps 9 and 10 to verify the Processor and Merchant have been configured as expected. If not contact the PayFlow support team for assistance in correcting this information.
37. Log into Penelope with a System Administrator account. Navigate to the Credit Card Setup page and click Add Gateway Account.
38. This time choose Production and re-enter the information for the Penelope account you had previously setup.
39. Repeat step 38 for the ClientConnect account (if applicable).
40. In PayPal Manager go to the Hosted Checkout Page setup.v6
41. Change the Transaction Process Mode field to LIVE and save changes.
42. Repeat steps 24-33. When you are redirected to PayPal’s payment page enter a valid (real) credit card number and click the payment button. As this is in Production mode and it is a real credit card the payment will go through and the card will be charged (i.e. make sure the payment entered at step 28 is minimal e.g. $1).
43. Confirm that a successful payment message appears.
Credit Card Gateway Module Configuration Guide
For more information on configuring one of Penelope’s supported credit card gateways click here.