To use Writable with Canvas, you’ll need to create an assignment in Canvas that connects to your Writable assignment. Creating an assignment will import your Canvas roster into Writable at the same time.
[Note: it's helpful to find and copy an assignment to 'My Assignments' inside Writable before you start this step.]
As a teacher, start in your selected Course and click ‘Assignments’.
Click ‘+ Assignment’
3. Fill out the assignment details as usual for Canvas. When you get to Submission Type, please choose ‘External Tool’.
4. Click ‘Find’ to find Writable.
5. Click Writable from the list. Note: If Writable does not appear in this list, please have your Canvas admin follow these steps to setup Writable in Canvas.
Note: After you click Writable, you *may* be asked to Connect your Google or Microsoft account. This will ensure that any existing work assigned or completed in Writable in the past will come into your Canvas-connected account moving forward.
6. You will now see the ‘My Assignments’ screen from Writable (in a small window). Select the assignment you'd like to use or click 'Explore Assignments' to find an assignment in the Writable or My District collections.
7. Choose your Writable assignment settings, as usual, then click ‘Select Assignment’.
8. Click ‘Select’ to complete the link between the Writable assignment to the Canvas assignment.
9. Click 'Load This Tool in a New Tab' to allow the Writable assignment go "full screen" for students. Then select the remaining Canvas settings, such as assignment due date, and click 'Save and Publish'.
10. You and your students will now see the assignment in the Assignments list in Canvas:
Working to share curriculum in Canvas? You can publish Writable assignments to Canvas Commons and ask your teachers to find and copy them from there. Note: At this time, only assignments and assessments that do NOT need changes by the receiving Writable teacher in Canvas Commons will work correctly. Stay tuned for more enhancements in this area or set up a time to talk about sharing your Writable curriculum in Canvas.