Coming up with an initial list of keywords is the first step to successful social media monitoring. The keywords list is your strategic tool that will help reach the monitoring goals and objectives you have for your business.
With Mentionlytics you can monitor the following keyword categories:
- Brand/Company name
- Product/Service name
- Campaign name
- Specific industry terms
- Personal names (CEO, key influencers)
- Event name (conferences, trade shows, key events)
- Institution/Organization name
- Conversation topics
Let’s look at the process of picking the best keywords step by step!
1. The process of picking the right keywords starts with clarifying the objective of your monitoring efforts.
Here are some examples of use objectives shared by clients:
- Learn what people are saying about my brand online (recommended initial keywords: brand name variations).
- Get an overview of the conversation online about my brand and competitors and determine the company with the most engagement and brand awareness (recommended initial keywords: brand/company name, competitors’ brands and company names).
- Compare the opinions of potential customers about competing products (recommended initial keywords: brand name variations, product name variations, competitor(s) brand name variations, competitors’ product name variations).
- Finding influencers and popular hashtags for an upcoming campaign or measuring the effects and spread of an existing campaign etc. (recommended initial keywords: campaign name, hashtag, campaign topic, advertised product name).
and many more…
Book a live demo and share your monitoring objective with us and we will be happy to assist you with your keywords.
2. When creating your list of keywords, make sure you do a quick manual research online to see how your keyword is spelt and add all the variations to your list.
3. If your keyword is very general think about words that specify it or refer to existing conversation to identify what words are mentioned together with your main keyword. For example, if your company name is personal this may bring a lot of irrelevant mentions containing the same name in a different context. In this case, it is recommended to add a specifier word like the industry or product name to narrow the results to relevant mentions.
4. Once you have your list of keywords ready break them down into topics (Brand Monitoring, Competitors, and Marketing Leads) and folders (Mention trackers) to help you organize your set-up.
5. You are ready to add your keywords to your Mentionlytics account and start monitoring!
If you are not sure about your setup or how to optimize your keywords for the best results, please do not hesitate to contact us via email or live support chat.